6 Yoga Teacher Questions You’re Probably Asking Yourself Right Now
We often get asked these 6 questions by our students, so you’re probably thinking them too. Here’s a list and a breakdown of our answers…
- How long does it take to become a yoga teacher? The amount of time it takes for you to become a yoga teacher will depend on your current commitments and lifestyle. If you are able to commit to two to four weeks of daily training, an immersion program may be the best fit for you. In that case, you will be certified and ready to look for your first job within a month. For those who need to balance their work or home life with training, a part time course may be a better option. The teaching qualification itself is just the first stage of the process. The real teaching begins when you are in practice.
- How much does a yoga teacher make a year? The average salary for a Yoga Instructor is £24.90 per hour in the UK. That is if you were to work as an instructor employed at a Yoga Studio. According to Glassdoor, the average salary that a full time Yoga Teacher can make is £55.5k for the year (before tax). However, if you were to set up your own studio and have other instructors work under your brand, the financial potential is limitless.
- What qualifications do you need to be a yoga instructor? You need a minimum of a 200 hour yoga teacher training qualification. However, the yoga industry is unregulated, meaning there are no qualifications required by law to teach yoga. However, there are several organisations dedicated to self-regulating the industry, like The British Wheel of Yoga. This organisation strives to establish minimum requirements for yoga instruction, which are then approved by accredited awarding bodies like Ofqual. Many gyms, fitness studios, and health centres have adopted these regulations, so if you’re trying to find mainstream work lack of qualifications could be an issue.
- How much does a yoga teacher training cost? Courses can vary in price between £1500 and £7000, depending on what’s included, where it is, and how long the course will take. If you’re planning on doing an intensive yoga training retreat in Costa Rica, your fees may include accommodation and food which will increase the price. Trainings that are attached to famous yoga studios may have higher fees too, as your paying for the prestige of training with that school. You’ll also need to pay more for certain schools of yoga. Bikram’s extensive copyright and trademark of his brand of yoga means you can only train through him to be an official Bikram yoga teacher. If that’s important to you you’ll need to fork out a sizeable fee to attend his school. If it’s not, you can do a generic ‘hot’ yoga training instead.
- Can I teach yoga without certification? Legally, you do not need a 200-Hour certificate to teach a yoga class. However, the reality of the yoga market is that it’s more competitive than it was a decade ago. Because of that, it can be difficult for studios to gauge the quality of teachers, so the Yoga Alliance certification has become somewhat of a “baseline requirement” for most studios. It’s similar to having a college degree. Sure, some employers don’t require one, and if you’re especially good you can transcend the need for one. However, it’s a safe bet to have one
- How do I start a career in yoga? There is no “correct path” to becoming a yoga instructor. However, here are 10 steps you can take to set you on your own individual path.
- Develop a regular practice (at least 3 times a week)
- Sign up for a yoga teacher training.
- Make a target list of studios you want to teach at.
- Practice regularly at studios in your target list.
- Study the yogic philosophy
- Understand the Yogic Tradition from India
- Build a niche for yourself.
- Start teaching 2-3 classes a day.
- Start offering private classes
- Set realistic expectations for yourself
Getting started in your Yoga career can be a difficult process to undertake by yourself. I always recommend that you complete a Teachers’ Training course when you’re starting out as this is one of the first steps in becoming a confident Yoga Teacher.
As outlined above, I teach all these steps in the 50 Hour Yin Yoga Teacher Training Course in Austria.
Thanks so much,
Sumit + The Lifestyle Yoga Team